Total Pageviews

Monday 30 April 2012

Kim Kardashian for Mayor of Glendale....

Welcome! in case you have stumbled into my blog, you are reading BEYOND THE BLUE DOMES.  I am a "Baby-Boomer" born and raised in Iran and my topics range from my memories growing up in Iran to homeless community in Santa Monica and beyond.  My theme is social realities and preserving the history. I'd like to connect with people around the world that share the same passion. I appreciate your comments; you may contact me by email: katya1948@yahoo.com or just leave a comment on my blog. (it's easy if you have a gmail account)


What do you do when you're at a doctor's office waiting for your turn to be called?  That's the best time for me to catch up with reading magazines.  The other day at a doctor's office a Spanish magazine caught my attention.  The March 24 issue of El Aviso, on its cover had the picture of Kim Kardashian and in bold letters it said, "Kim Kardashian Es Considerada La Mujer Con El Mejor Cuerpo Del Mundo!" Translates:  "KK is considered the woman with the best skin in the world."

Today Kim Kardashian is one of the most popular celebrities and one of the best known Armenians in the United States. Kim Kardashian and her sisters never loose an opportunity to flaunt their Armenian heritage.  And I love that.  As the saying goes, "there is not a bad publicity." 
        
A few weeks ago the talk of the town was that Kim Kardashian announced that she is considering running for mayor of Glendale.  And last night at the White House Correspondents Dinner, Kim Kardashian was the celebrity who took the most hits. Comic Jimmy Kimmel, the dinner host, in several occasions directed his jibes at Kardashian who was among the guests. 

Today, from President Obama to the of Gledale's City Council, everybody is talking about Kardashian.  I even spotted a blurb in Time Magazine about Kardashian running for mayor of Glendale.  For nothing else, thank you kimmy for putting our hometown Glendale on the map.

In the following video which was unveiled at the Glendale City Council meeting and uploaded to YouTube, Kardashian asks the public to join in commemorating "the loss of those innocent lives of millions of people worldwide." 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/kim-kardashian-armenian-genocide.html

Below you can read a letter to Kim Kardashian penned by Patrick Canneday.  He says: "I find it hard to change the channel when I see a Kardashian in her penthouse or mansion agonizing over what to wear to the photo shoot, who's pregnant and who's not, or which rapper/professional athlete is rumored to be next in line for speed dating." Apparently millions of others share this guilty pleasure. 

I think what he wrote is quite cute. Read the letter below.


Kim Kardashian at the red-carpet in the White House at Correspondents Dinner
April 28, 2012 


Here is a column by Patrick Caneday in Glendale Newspress, the local newspaper: 

Dear Kim,

I hear you want to run for mayor of my hometown, Glendale, California.

I'm sure by now you've discovered one doesn't “run for mayor” of Glendale. No. One first runs for City Council and then wins the annual intra-council rock-paper-scissors contest to become mayor. Or loses it. No one's really sure how it works.

Though I now live in neighboring Burbank, as a son of Glendale (a “Glendalian?”) I felt compelled to write and say this: Run, Kimmy! Run!

At this moment, all nine of my readers are angrily sending nasty-grams asking if I've lost my mind. Maybe I have. But I welcome your ample, well-rounded assets occupying a chair in our local star chamber. No pun intended.

I admit, however, that my motives are not entirely unselfish. Your brand — er, family is one of my guilty pleasures. I'm not a fan of the K-shows, nor is my DVR set to record them. But I marvel at your faux-lebrity; I find it hard to change the channel when I see a Kardashian in her penthouse or mansion agonizing over what to wear to the photo shoot, who's pregnant and who's not, or which rapper/professional athlete is rumored to be next in line for speed dating.

We're all human.

Besides, bringing your special brand of sexy, personal drama to our little corner of the world would give this columnist a bountiful source of material. The possibility that you might repost this to your 8.5-million Facebook followers and 14-plus million Twitter-heads hasn't escaped me, either. Nothing would make me happier than to see this newspaper's website crash under the ensuing inundation of hits.
You like to be seen. I like to be read. I think we understand each other.

Glendale always has had a case of Los Angeles-envy. Becoming the first step on your catwalk to higher office may go far to satisfy those cravings. Not since the Mario Lopez fence-height scandal have feathers been this ruffled in our humble burg.

You see, unlike your detractors, Kim, I don't think you're unintelligent. I know you're smart. Everything you do is for the purpose of furthering your brand. You know exactly who you are, what you bring to the table and how to get what you want. You are as qualified for office as any other concerned Californian who wants to make a difference.

Frankly, after Arnold Schwarzenegger got elected — twice! — I pretty much gave up on the credibility of our voters anyway.

Wanting to be mayor of Glendale because “it's like Armenian Town,” as you put it, is a noble cause. But Glendale is so much more than that. We already have a respected history of Armenian representatives in local politics: Larry Zarian, Bob Yousefian, Rafi Manoukian and Ara Najarian, to name a few.

So if you're going to run, Kimmy, please consider a wider platform. Again, no pun intended.
Before you qualify, though, you'll need to establish residence and get to know us. I'm looking forward to bumping into you squeezing avocados for freshness at Whole Foods, noshing late-night after-party waffles at Conrad's, or getting your stiletto heels fixed at Zinke's Shoe Repair.

I know you like to shop. No doubt you've heard of our elegant, trend-setting fashion mall. People drive from all over SoCal to shop there. But if the Eagle Rock Plaza isn't up to your standards, you can always try the Americana on Brand. It's OK, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment